Components of a bandsaw
Last update: 23rd September 2018
For beginners who are about to use a bandsaw, there are 16 main components that you should know
- Blade tension screw
- Blade cover arm
- Thrust bearing
- Table insert
- Table angle scale
- Work lamp
- Guide post
- Guide post locking screw
- Guide locking screw
- Blade guides
- Blade slot
- Miter gauge slot
Bandsaw Operating Procedures
- Using a bandsaw is safer compare to other saws however if this is your first time using a bandsaw, you need to be careful to run the saw safely. Here is the procedure that will let you using the bandsaw without issue.
- The teeth on the blade of a properly installed bandsaw should point downward in the direction of blade travel.
- Check tension and tracking of the blade frequently, make adjustments as needed. Disconnect power and turn wheels by hand to see if the blade is tracking in the middle of the wheel.
- Be sure material being sawed is free of nails, paint and other obstructions.
- Plan your cuts carefully. Lay out work clearly, use relief cuts, and avoid backouts.
- Do not cut stock until the machine is running at full speed.
- Always place stock flat on the bandsaw table
- Do not force the stock into the blade at a rate faster than it can be readily cut.
- If sawing freehand, use one hand to guide the stock into the blade and the other hand to push the stock into the blade. DO NOT PUSH STOCK WITH HANDS IN LINE WITH THE BLADE.
- Do not place excess stress on the blade by twisting the stock, cut curves gradually.
- If a problem develops and the blade has to be backed out, shut off the machine and wait until the blade has stopped.
- If the blade breaks, shut off the power and move away from the machine. Never try to free a blade while the wheels are turning.
- An indication of a cracked blade is a rhythmic click as the cracked portion of the blade passes through the wood.
- Cylindrical stock should be mounted in a holding device to keep it from spinning and crowding the blade while being cut.
- Make sure the band saw has stopped before leaving it.