What we cover here
- Best bow saw (folding and non-folding)
- Best bow saw – the list in 2018/ 2019
- Best folding bow saw in 2018 – Model reviews
- 1. Sven Saw-21″
- 2. Bahco 10-24-23 Bow Saw with Ergo Handle, 24-Inch
- 3. EverSaw 8’’ folding saw
- 4. Hooyman 655227 10 Foot Extendable Tree Saw
- 5. Primos Folding Saw
Update: Sep., 2018
Bow saw has a huge application. You can use a bow saw for tree pruning, for hunting, camping or using for any cutting task you may think of. They have 2 different designs: folding bow saw and non-folding bow saw. Each design has its strength and weaknesses that we will address below.
Here we present the top 5 bows saws with high quality, sturdy, and built to last for you to consider.
Best bow saw – the list in 2018/ 2019
Best folding bow saw in 2018 – Model reviews
1. Sven Saw-21″
The 21’’ bow saw from Sven Saw brand is one of the most popular choices. This is a great value bow saw if you need to use on regular basis. It is super easy to set up and tighten the blade is just very simple. The saw has a long blade which rips through wood smoothly, therefore a lot of backpackers, DIY novices consider this is perhaps the best choice when looking for a collapsible bow saw for the lifetime.
- The frame is made in the USA and blade is made in Sweden. Aluminum frame and steel blade
- Dimension: 5 x 5 x 5’’
- Weight: 1 lbs.
Pros and cons
- Very sturdy and great blade
- Super high rating from users
- Durable and suitable for users who cut a lot
- Wingnut, do not lose it.
Apart from the 21’’ version, Sven saw still has another version 15’’ which is also very high-rated and a bit cheaper.
Sven saw 21’’ is suitable for camping, backpacking and demanding cutting tasks. The saw’s wing nut is small and it does not have a spare part that comes with the package, so you should keep it carefully.
2. Bahco 10-24-23 Bow Saw with Ergo Handle, 24-Inch
Bahco bow saw is a perfect option for camping or home use. The Bahco bow saw has 2 variations for different cutting purposes. You can choose the peg toothing blade if you need to cut dry wood, or raker toothing blade if you have to cut green wood. The saw frame and components are constructed in an ergonomic shape and mechanism, allowing you perform on the most demanding cutting jobs with ease. You can access tighter areas with the pointed nose and adjust the tension easily. The comfortable handle with knuckle protector also makes sawing smoother and easier. Last but not least, it is very affordable.
- Dimensions: 28.9 x 9.4 x 1.1’’
- Weight: 1.65 lbs.
- Variations: 3 different versions (blade length: 21’’, 24’’ and 30’’) with 2 different blade tooth style for cutting dry/green wood.
- Lightweight, steel frame with an orange color finish.
Pros and cons
- Durable, ample applications
- Low price, great design
- Not foldable
Bahco 10-24-23 Bow Saw with Ergo Handle is suitable for on-site cutting jobs and home uses. The saw is very sturdy and solid built but it can’t be collapsible therefore you can’t put it in your backpack like a folding unit. The saw has different cutting blade and sizes, you should think of your cutting tasks before choosing the suitable blade and size. Overall it is a great bow saw.
3. EverSaw 8’’ folding saw
EverSaw 8’’ folding saw is the number one pruning saw you can think of. It is a well-built folding saw with 8’’ blade designed for pruning, camping, hunting and other applications at home. The blade is made of carbon steel blade with 9 TPI, which is good for sawing smoothly and staying sharp and resist wearing over years. It has a solid grip and can be folded whenever not use. The best part is that Eversaw offers a replace and refund policy. If you think the saw is not useful to you for whatever reason, they will replace or refund your order.
- Dimensions: 9.5 x 2.25 x 0.75’’
- Weight: 10.1 ounces
Pros and cons
- Durable, foldable and good-built
- It has 8’’ blade, therefore, it can’t cut tree bigger than 4’’ in diameter
EverSaw 8’’ folding saw can cut 4’’ (in diameter) wood, plastic, and bone. It is a real deal for camping, backpacking, or pruning around the home.
4. Hooyman 655227 10 Foot Extendable Tree Saw
The Hooyman tree saw 655227 is an exclusive design that can work as both a hand saw and a pole saw. When needed, it can be extended to reach up to 10 ft. high, letting you trim branches around the yards, or you can collapse it down to only 28 inches. Besides this model, Hooyman has 2 more variations: 5 ft. extended version and 16 ft. extended version to fit different individuals.
Like other folding saws, this Hooyman tree saw 655227 can also be folded and secured by a positive locking system to keep it safe when sawing and putting in the package. On the performance side, the saw is made by high carbon premium steel blade, the frame is solid aluminum and the extension arm is made with aircraft quality Aluminum material to make it strong, sturdy but still very lightweight to use.
- Dimensions: 26.6 x 4.3 x 2.3 ’’
- Weight: 3.46 lbs.
- Materials: high carbon premium steel blade, I-beam construction solid aluminum for framing, aircraft aluminum extension telescopic stick.
Pros and cons
- Well made, versatile and very lightweight
- Compact, sturdy enough for shooting and trimming
The blade is not aggressive like a full-size pole saw.
Hooyman tree saw 655227 is a great option for users who love camping or occasionally trimming the trees and shrubs around the home. It can’t replace a full-size electric pole saw, because you still have to cut the branches manually.
5. Primos Folding Saw
Primos Folding Saw perhaps one of the cheapest folding saw, which is just around 10 bucks only. It uses a steel blade (offset teeth), lightweight nylon handle molded with rubber coating and a push button lock to keep it safe and easy to use. This folding saw is a nice option for backpackers, campers who need a lightweight, cheap folding saw for emergent situations. You also need to beware that this folding saw blade is just about 6 inches, therefore, it is more likely to fit small cutting tasks only, and since it is very cheap, the blade is not replaceable if it is damaged.
- Weight: less than 9 oz.
- Dimensions: 11.2 x 4.2 x 1.5’’
- Materials: steel blade (6’’), nylon handle with rubber coating
Pros and cons
- Very affordable, sturdy and strong blade
- Suitable for small cutting jobs only
Primos Folding Saw is a durable, light and effective folding saw that will save your backpacking trip. It is a great little saw with only a few bucks but still does the jobs perfectly.